Saw this baby at a cycle shop in Antwerp, Belgium yesterday.
According to the sales guy, it does 55km/h and can go for 1h15 on a full charge. Great looking electric Specialized. About R 65,300.
Well, until it is, I want to keep riding and running…..
Please share your 2012 event plan with us in order for us to compile a comprehensive list.
Not often that I try to sell something here, but here’s my Merida that’s no longer being used.
If you are interested, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
- size: 19
- Sram X9 groupset
- Avid Juicy brakes
- Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock-out
- Cateye Velo 8 cyclometer
- Location: Bloubergstrand
Looking for some MTB events and trail runs between now and end of October in the Western Cape region? Well, here’s a few that are on my list:
- Citrusdal MTB: 50, 35 km: 3 September.
- Simonsberg Paarl Rotary MTB Challenge: 45, 30 km: 10 September.
- Paarl Mountain Reserve 10km trail run: 24 September.
- The Steenberg Vineyard Trail: 6,5 & 13,1 km: 24 September.
- Piket-Bo-Berg MTB challenge: 59, 37 km: 25 September.
- Karoo to Coast, MTB: 100 km. 25 September.
- Lion of Africa de Grendel MTB: 55, 30 km: 2 October.
- Engen Dynamic MTB: 2 October, Nelson wine estate: 60, 30 km: 8 October
- William Simpson Nissan MTB: Elgin, 46, 26 km: 9 October
- Fair Cape Pointbreak MTB: 60, 30Km: 22 October, Durbanville
- BCA Mates trail run: 15, 8km, Blaauwberg Conservation Area, 15 October.
- Rustenberg Farm Race Trail Run: 21, 12 km: 29 October.
5 km Stanford Oesfees Bosloop
10 km Stanford Trail Run.
5 & 25 km Stanford Oesfees Mtb Challenges
‘n Uitdaging soos min! Sir Robert Stanford Estate maak nie net uitstekende wyn nie, die plaas beskik ook oor van die mooiste bos, berghange en lopende spruite. ‘n Ware lushof vir enige buitelug sport entoesias.
The Mtb rides will take riders on vineyard paths, great jeep track challenges, cliff paths, fynbos paths and awesome forest single tracks. For the little ones, family outings and novices the 5 km is a gentle introduction to this great sport and easy enough for mom or dad to jog along to give junior the much needed support. The 25 km ride will take riders to some of the most beautiful but challenging farm and mountain terrain. Some technical stretches, great mountain single tracks, Dam wall crossings, nifty forest tracks and mind boggling views of the Stanford Mountain and valley. Both rides will finish with great funfair at the Hospice Music Pavilion.
25 km starts at 08:00 Entry fee R70.00
5 km to follow at 08:05. Entry fee R20.00
The Bosloop and Trail Run take athletes and novices into the bliss of this great farm. Dam crossings, fynbos bundu, cliff paths, several spring crossings and some of the best blue gum forest paths. Whether you run or walk the 5 km, it will tax body and soul and raise the spirit. The 10 km will add some awesome mountain trails, great water features [no wet feet!] and will join the 5 km at the end to finish a great run at the Hospice Music Pavilion.
10 km Trail Run starts at 08:15 Entry fee R50.00
5 km Bosloop starts at 08:20 Entry fee R20.00
Prize Giving at 10:00 at the Hospice Music Pavilion.
Cash Prizes Galore! Prizes for oldest, youngest, slowest and those who can show battle scars! Great prizes in the Lucky Draw. Something for everyone!
Hermanus Adventures will donate 20% of profits to the Overstrand Hospice for the great work they do!
The Stanford Oesfees Challenges & Overstrand Hospice Summer Concert will also include the very famous Stanford Canoe Race and Stanford Pumpkin Challenge. Festival organizers promise a great day with fun outdoor activities, Tractor Rides, Kiddies Corner, Beer Tent, Arts & Craft Market, and much much more! The famous Sir Robert Stanford Grappa & Witblitz will join all the surrounding wineries for a vino-phenomenal experience. You are invited to join us later that afternoon to the spectacular Overstrand Hospice Summer Concert.
For more information go to : HermanusAdventures
Sure I wanna do more than I did in 2010!
Sure I wanna do more than what I actually think I’ll be able to. But then, as you know, there’s work, business travel, family engagements, etc,etc. With the Totalsports Challenge Terra Firma event behind me, I’m hoping to at least get my backside in gear for a few more events this year.
So, after working through the Ride Magazine’s Dirty Dates calendar, the Bicycling Magazine’s must-do events, some fun trail running events on the various trail running web sites and even the Pedalpower calendar, this is what I believe I can realistically accomplish in the first quarter ( and a bit) of 2011:
Trail running: www.trailseries.co.za
There are 5 events in total as part of the Cape Summer series. These are either 5km – 8km or 10-15km options. There are events in other parts of the country too. I plan to do the following:
- Sunday 3o January: Paul Cluver
- Wednesday 2 February: Durbanville Hills
All Wednesday evening races will start at 18h00 for the Long and 18h15 for the Short. The weekend (Sunday) races will start at 07h30 for the Long and 07h45 for the Short
2Oceans Trail run: http://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/
This will be on Good Friday, 22 April and starts at 07h30 from UCT campus. Limited to 400 runners. I’ve entered for the 10km event. There’s also a 22km run.
- Sun 6 Feb: Rollercoaster, Constantia: 88km: www.pedalpower.org.za
- Sun 13 Feb: 3 Passes, 77km, Newlands www.pedalpower.org.za
- Sunday 13 March: Pick ‘n Pay Argus: 109km
- Saturday 16 April: Sea Otter Classic Gran Fondo, 40 miles, Monterey, California: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/
- Sat 5 Feb: Franschhoek Lions MTB: 46,8km www.pedalpower.org.za
- Sat: 19 Feb: Wilde Cycle: Wellington: 50km www.wildecycle.co.za
- Grape Escape: Stage 1 (4 March) Eden on the Bay to Nelson Wine Estate: 85km. Stage 2 (5 March), Nelson Wine Estate to Boschendal Wine Estate: 76km. Stage 3 (6 March) Boschendal Wine Estate, Argus MTB: 67km http://www.grapeescape.co.za/
- Sun: 17 April, Seaotter Classic, Monterey, California: cross country: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/
Attakwas Extreme Mountain Bike 121km Challenge & Attakwas Mini 52km Mountain Bike Ride
Staying true to our pioneering spirit, and learning from the past 4 years, we have decided to only make small changes to our existing, already challenging extreme route. The changes to the very popular 2010 extreme race include a shortening of sections of the technical jeep track before the entry into the Attakwas kloof and a different approach to Bonniedale guest farm. This will shorten the route by 14 km. The Attakwas Mini, over 55 km that will start and finish in Great Brak river, will share the last 13 km of the Attakwas Extreme route. This shorter ride will consist of plenty of jeep track that takes riders onto the southern slopes of the Outeniqua Mountains.
for more information go to: http://www.dryland.co.za/
For 32 days now, I’ve done nothing much except eat, drink and drive ( not in that order). In fact, I drove a neat 8927km to be exact. That trip took me from Cape Town, all the way to Beit Bridge in Zimbabwe, out again at Mutare and into Mozambique to the Gorongosa National Park. From there I went north and then a week later south again, all along the pristine Mozambique coast line.
So, the point I’m trying to make is this: there was not a lot of cycling to be done. In fact: no cycling of any kind during that period.
Back home now, I must consider how to ease back into things. Hence the purpose of this post. Though not the easiest of rides, the Burger MTB Challenge in Stellenbosch has always been a great event and often filled with much mud, may I add.
So, whether I can get myself into shape in a mere 18 days, with 2 business trips in the mix, remains to be seen and will be seen and felt on 31 July in Stellenbosch.
FRANSCHHOEK CYCLING CLUB INVITES YOU TO COME AND ENJOY AN AWESOME RIDE IN FRANSCHHOEK DURING BASTILLE FESTIVAL!
Remember the Dewdale MTB Classic (2001 – 2007)..?
Well, we hope to bring it back as the Bastille Festival MTB Classic in 2011..!
For 2010, the FCC (Franschhoek Cycling Club) will be hosting the Bastille Festival Freedom Ride: an informal MTB Ride (NOT a Race). Proceeds of this Ride will go towards the FCC’s Development initiatives, including the FCC Development Team.
- DATE: Sunday 18th July 2010
- START TIME: 9h30 (please Register where you see the Manic Cycles banner)
- REGISTRATION: 8H00 – 9H15
- VENUE: Huguenot Monument, Franschhoek
- DISTANCES: +-30KM (for the Fitter riders) – Moderate Intensity, +-15KM (for the Families/Kiddies) – Easy Intensity
Both Groups will start off together
FCC Members will lead the Outrides according to ability
- ENTRY FEE: R30-00
- CONTACT: Geddan Ruddock – 082 578 3017 or Paul Barkley – 083 302 9096
After the Ride, we are going to have some Lucky Draws where you can win 1 of 3 Limited Edition FCC Cycling Tops!
After the Lucky Draw, you are welcome to do some Wine Tasting and/or Eat out at a Restaurant in Franschhoek, after all it’sBastille Festival in Franschhoek:
Follow me on Twitter
- Put Your Best Foot Forward at the Husqvarna Classic Mid-Illovo MTB Challenge & Trail Run: 18 May 2014
- A lesson in HOPE!
- Robbie McIntosh’s 2014 events
- BCA Mates Trail Challenge: 28 September 2013
- Which trail shoe?